Thursday, July 25, 2013

Curriculum

I just had a thought to check what Caden would have been expected to learn by the end of
Reception year. Here is the list http://www.keystageplus.co.uk/Reception.pdf

Interestingly he was able to do the majority of this when he started home educating 
year ago, though his ability to write and Especially read has really improved. 
He is expected to know very little on this list compared to what he picks up 
without realising through his Normal daily life of just doing and being.

This is not intended to be an opportunity for me to showcase my son's abilities. 
Anyone who knows me well will know that my values are somewhat different to 
that and one of the reasons I dislike schools is the continuous showcasing of perceived 
talent or placing importance on abilities (that just don't matter) like whether you can 
write at the age of 5. What is important to me is that he keeps his sense of self, Develops 
a knowledge of where his true interests lie and doesn't need to be a school product 
'all-rounder' Simply good at what he loves, so he can live a life true to himself and
ultimately life a happy and fulfilling life. The same as most of us want for our children.

It has brought home to me that I have done the right thing. Caden hasn't been 
pushed to satisfy a school's outcome. He didn't want to go to school, it wasn't  the 
right thing for him, he has played and played and kept his sparky spark. He has loved it 
... and still learned loads. 

I'm so excited about another year home educating. We have plans for yoga, more trampolining As its his most favourite ever. Lots more play. He is getting good 
at art, very good, so as much of that as he wants, including trying out new styles 
and techniques. Maybe starting a kids art group, Hmm, where though ;) and a bit 
of science this year. 

He was so interested today in the Earths atmosphere, pollution and the greenhouse 
effect. It's like telling him an amazingly creative story but incredible that it is true. 
Having kids is just the best!
 I feel so lucky to be home educating them. Every day he wakes up and asks me, 
always eager with anticipation. What are we doing today 'Mum?'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morocco 2023

  Morocco was Miles' 13th birthday present. We were excited as it was our first trip to Africa.  We found an amazing restaurant for Mile...