Friday, June 27, 2014

League Family Camp

For the fourth year running we have attended the League Family Camp. An offshoot from the La Leche League charity that I have worked for over the last 5 years (though I have taken a break in recent months). This was a very short visit of two days in between my walking holiday with friends in Devon at the weekend (the kids were with their Dad) and the Kentwell Tudor day today which will be on the next post. We squeezed the camp in. The boys love going feral and I love the fact that there are absolutely no screens, ipads, phones, tvs or even any toys. It is great. The kids make up their own play and it is wonderful to see them doing it. 

Of course on the first day Caden was bored and wanted to go home to play the iPad. He got over it after a few hours of hanging around me for entertainment (which I didn't give him, he is there to play with other kids or sit with me while I do grown up things - he can join in with that of course but he would rather play usually haha). 


Here is a hammock full of Miles 


Miles doing important hammering work. Caden and Arthur in the background having a meal together. 

Miles hanging out around the teenage boys. 

I loved how the teenage lads were quite prepared to play with the little ones and help them to join in with things. The little ones were welcomed and shown things without any prompting from an adult. I really appreciated their efforts with my boys because I know how valuable those interactions are for Caden and Miles. 


I did some Brazilian dancing one evening. Though I am not in the photo. 


Caden on the swing near our tent. 


Miles, early one morning wrapped up in two of my coats because it was slightly chilly. He is sat by the camp fire just relaxing while I make us some breakfast. It was so nice to sit around the campfire on a morning and talk to the others while the kids played and ate 


The boys in the hammock playing and giggling together. 


A typical snapshot of people coming and going around the fire and interacting. It is a rich social environment for children to be in. 


Miles and Alex were collecting sticks for a fire. 


This was one of the men from the camp making swords for the children out of tape, rigid sticks and yoga mats cut into sword shapes. All the kids loved them. Miles and Arthur watched him make them for ages. 



Caden really showed his big brotherly skills this camp. He was very careful and sweet with Alex, letting Alex crawl about all over him, conquer him and even smack him and kick him. Caden said, it's ok, it doesn't hurt. He thought it was funny. A little sign of some maturity coming from my big boy. :D


I took Caden, Miles and Arthur to Bradgate Park. They all had a twister lolly. It was hot. 

They are pointing at a tree with a huge hole in the trunk. Caden was exploring the tree. 


Caden and Arthur looking at the ducks. We are on our way to the shallow paddling spot and keeping an eye out for roaming deer .


Mer-Miles


Paddling upstream. 


All three of them paddling upstream, they got up to the weir thing.


After they were dressed we all played 'What time is it Mr Wolf!'. This is one point where I turned around. Look at those serious faces... 


They found a deer with soft furry antlers. 


They found a whole bunch of tiny ducklings. 



Then it was time for a bit of serious climbing. They are capable lads and I could see them so up they went. It was a pretty safe track though it looks high from the photos. 




Me and Miles. He was tired on the way back from the park so I carried him in the sling. There will come a time soon when I never carry my boys in a sling again. We are enjoying all of these moments together. 


Back at camp, the boys playing through the woodsmoke 


We had a super time this year. It was just enough because we were all pretty tired when we got there. They had a good play. I caught up with friends and talked over a few things and got some confidence from other people to use in my daily parenting life. We are looking forward to next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morocco 2023

  Morocco was Miles' 13th birthday present. We were excited as it was our first trip to Africa.  We found an amazing restaurant for Mile...