Sunday, June 3, 2018

Switzerland, The Alps and Cable Cars! Interrailing 2016

OK so a badly planned part of our trip was a quick stop in Vienna  where we were to catch the overnight train to Zurich. I wish we hadn't done this but these things have to be put down to experience. At Vienna we arrived (as you can see) late afternoon. It quickly got dark. We got a taxi to the centre, but we couldn't see the beautiful buildings or any of the landmarks so we just went to the shopping centre/high street and walked up and down. It was quite long and it was very nice to be there, it's just that we could have done that in any city without having to travel so far. We found a cinema and went to see Trolls (there's two hours of my life I won't get back). 


We mucked about a bit on the high street, having fun, looking in shops and so on. 




Our train to Zurich wasn't until nearly midnight and the boys crashed on the station bench. 



I had booked a sleeper train but this experience was so poor that it made our exhausting experience from Krakow to Prague more like a luxury 5* hotel. I had paid for and booked a private room for three. The conductor said a mistake had been made and stuck us in a room for 6 with two unknown men already in there sleeping! I objected and told him we had paid for a private room as I have little kids with me, it's nearly midnight and they are practically falling asleep in the train gangway... He was flustered, rude and angry. He told me that if I didn't like it I could get off the train... What could I do. My kids needed to sleep and I couldn't deal with anything in a strange city alone at that time of night. We weren't going to sleep in the train station. So I put them both in a bottom bunk together and I vowed to stay awake watching them the whole night. I couldn't take the risk of falling asleep when it wasn't safe. So I did! Now I was exhausted when we arrived in Prague but this was something else... The boys slept badly too but they did sleep. We arrived in Zurich at about 9am. Zurich is really pretty, I like it, surrounded by mountains. It was truly glorious pulling into Switzerland in the morning when the kids were sleeping... when the photos show the grass in Switzerland as being green and you think - Yah right.... there's clearly a fat, green filter on that there photograph... I can now tell you that nope... the grass is indeed that green, maybe even more so... it's quite bizarre! Fascinating! Switzerland is like nowhere else. It's awesome! 

Views from the train...




I had booked us a tour from Zurich to go up Mount Titlis in a 360 degree revolving cable car... we took the coach about an hour after the train arrived... I was so glad that I didn't have to walk any more when I was so tired. The long coach journey was very welcome... Switzerland without the effort...

Look at that grass... what is going on?





We arrived at Mount Titlis, listened to our instructions and got on the first cable car.. the one that takes you to the 360 degree revolving one... the kids were nervous.... 


And then we were off.... Excitement yay! 


This face I am pulling is delirium mixed with knackered.... I make no apology for it! 


Cable cars... 




It was AWESOME! 





The 360 degree revolving cable car.. so when it's packed everyone gets a chance to see the whole view! It was cool but we loved our own regular cable car the best! 


We were higher than a plane!










It got cold quite quickly... it was beautiful, lonely, vast, magnificent up there... I could sit in a duvet with a hot chocolate and look at it for hours but the kids got chilly so we set off back... 


Not before we crossed the high bridge of doom though... 


And went on a ski lift, for the hell of it! 




The glacier.... Amazing! 


The bridge of doom, just don't look down... 



This view... this view.... 



And then we went back home to France... 

Tired little Miles.... Kind brother Caden 




 We made it back home via Geneva where we stopped overnight, several buses and trains to get home and it was lovely to finally finish our first interrailing trip.



Complete with cool hair dos and a head full of memories... 



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Beginnings

 The boys are growing. They are now 14 and 11. It's been 2 years since we escaped from Thailand and what a couple of years we have had. ...