Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Kitchen Chemistry

This morning I was greeted by two dressed up children yelling... "Attaaaaack!" as they charged into my bedroom. I managed to get my phone and get a photo of them. Miles is dressed in a ben ten mask and a wizards hat! Hilarious start to the day! 


It was their friend Megan's 4th birthday party today. She only eats raw food so the party was all raw, this was the party food. So beautiful I had to share a photo. Look at the amazing fruit palm trees at the left of the photo. 




While they were at the party I was able to come home and get through quite a bit of work for a TMA coming up as part of my degree. 

Today we had some chemistry experiments to do together. I prepared the following experiment to make fizz bombs. 

The ingredients are, oil, water, vinegar, sodium hydrogen carbonate (bicarb) and a glass beaker to watch what happens. 


Here is Caden wearing his eye protection and pouring oil on top of a vinegar/water solution. We noticed that the oil floated on top of the water layer. 


Then Miles donned the goggles and poured in the Sodium bicarbonate and they waited for the reaction. 


When the sodium bicarbonate was put in the glass, it took a little while to filter through the oil. Of course it reacted with the vinegar solution under the oil and sent fizzes back up through the oil. It was great watching the little bubbles of carbon dioxide form and then take the small chunks of sodium bicarbonate at the bottom of the glass back up to float at the top. 

I secretly can't wait until they can grasp basic chemistry, I hope they have an interest in all that functional groups stuff and balancing equations and nerdy things like that. I really enjoy some of these aspects of my degree so it will be great to be able to experience that with them when they are ready. 

Anyway, the fizz bomb fizzed like crazy, they loved it. 


The next experiment was to make snot! Yes really.... 

Ingredients... Pot (for the snot) slime powder and hot water. We put a sheet of paper down to protect the top and I poured the water in the pot. 


Caden poured in the slime powder. Then we checked the time - 15.35 - it would be ready in ten minutes at 15.45. They ran off to play. I called them back when the time was up and they were grossed out at the snot we had made. 


Our pot of snot. We are saving it for April Fool's day now for Caden to shock someone by putting it in a handkerchief and showing them what he just sneezed! He is looking forward to this. Ha ha! 


After I had cleaned up the kitchen they wanted to make apple crumble again. This time they both wanted to be involved in making the pudding. 


Caden carefully arranges the chopped and spiced apples. 


Miles gets stuck in to mixing up the crumble. (He likes to snarf blobs of butter to eat when I am not looking ;) 


It is movie night on Wednesdays so they are looking forward to giving their friend Arthur some of their crumble for the movie 'picnic'. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Morocco 2023

  Morocco was Miles' 13th birthday present. We were excited as it was our first trip to Africa.  We found an amazing restaurant for Mile...