Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Amendments...

Interestingly enough a friend of mine today was talking about how reflecting on the day's experiences is such an integral part of the learning process. Having experiences is obviously important but that the reflection is equally important. We do a lot of talking and reflecting on things throughout our days together of course, it's usually a work in progress.

I read today's blog out to Caden while he read the words in his head, so that he could both enjoy it and learn any new words that came up. He loved the blog but corrected me. Apparently the dragon lego figure is in fact, a dinosaur. It doesn't have wings which a dragon would have, apparently I should know this.

After asking him what HE thought he had learned today, he told me that when he had been watching Go Diego Go, while dinner was cooking, he learned the word Suben which means climbing. I checked on Google and he is right, he also got to read the word and see the spelling of it on Google while I looked it up. So a bit of Spanish is coming on too. Great!!

I always forget to mention things like that we use German words whenever we are out. Some of these things are so second nature to us now we have been doing it for so long, that I almost don't see them as part of his deliberate education, but of course it very much is. For example Caden often directs us when we are out, in German. Links (left) Rechts (right) and Geradeaus (forwards). I speak German words to them and use colours, animal names, nouns and short phrases I know they know to reinforce their knowledge. I am not exactly fluent in German but what I know is being passed on to them and I hope it is laying a platform for German lessons when they are ready in a couple of years.

I am so happy to say that our relationships continue to feel much happier. The trust is mostly back now and I see improvements all the time. They are very happy little individuals and love each other loads. They are very lucky little siblings to have such a great relationship and love each other so much. I feel lucky as a Mum that they have this. They do occasionally fight but usually get along really well and match each other's wants, like wanting to do the same games or finding the same stuff funny. Miles learns so much from Caden, I see the adoring way he looks at him often. They don't have the 'school' segregation issue of bigger kids are better than little kids and so on, home ed isn't usually like that as much, different ages play together normally and there is room for everyone. They are lucky boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morocco 2023

  Morocco was Miles' 13th birthday present. We were excited as it was our first trip to Africa.  We found an amazing restaurant for Mile...